As you may know, the social media landscape is ever-changing and rapidly evolving. New networks come and go, but older ones still remain. Every year, new social marketing strategies evolve thanks to new generations of consumers.
Social media has become an integral part of our lives, and to attract customers, you need to engage with them on the trendiest platforms.
We have compiled the most interesting social media statistics to help you plan your marketing strategy in 2022.
Social Media Usage Statistics
Social media has changed a lot since the early 2000s. Had you told social media enthusiasts that Facebook and Twitter would become global communication hubs connecting individuals and even governments, they might not have believed you.
But they grew, mostly due to the convenience of readily available information at the fingertips of Internet users everywhere.
Let’s look at how social media usage has changed since last year and what it means for your social media marketing strategy.
- About 4% of the world population uses social media (more than half).
- On average, a user spends 2h 27minutes using social media.
- In 2021, the number of social media users went up to 4.62 billion around the world.
- Short form videos are rated as the most effective form of social media content in 2022.
- About 45% of internet users research products on social media before they make a purchase.
- Of all the internet users in the world, 93% of them use social media.
Active Social Media Usage by Region
- Northern America: 82%
- Central America: 73%
- Caribbean: 55%
- Southern America: 79%
- Northern Europe: 85%
- Western Europe: 84%
- Southern Europe: 76%
- Western Europe: 84%
- Eastern Europe: 70%
- Central Asia: 33%
- Southern Asia: 34%
- Eastern Asia: 69%
- South Eastern Asia: 72%
- Oceania: 66%
- Southern Africa: 45%
- Northern Africa: 56%
- Middle Africa: 8%
- Western Africa: 16%
- Eastern Africa: 10%
The Most Popular Social Media Networks
We often wonder how social media networks will evolve over time. To predict the future, we need to look at the data that is available.
- Facebook: 2.895 Billion
- YouTube: 2291 million
- WhatsApp: 2 billion
- Instagram: 2 billion
- Facebook Messenger: 1300 million
- WeChat (Weixin): 1251 million
- TikTok: 1000 million
- Douyin: 600 million
- QQ: 591 million
- Sina Weibo: 566 million
- Telegram: 550 million
- Snapchat: 538 million
- Kuaishou: 06 million
- Pinterest: 454 million
- Twitter: 363 million
- Reddit: 430 million
- Quora: 300 million
Face it – Facebook owns the world of social networks. If that’s not apparent by the way, you’re reading this right now, think about this: according to a recent report by Global Web Index, 78% of all internet users are on the Facebook network. That’s more than 2.8 billion people around the world using just a single social network.
So what does all of this mean for marketers? For one thing, we now live in a world where not having a Facebook page is like not having an email address in 1998. It’s no longer an option. We also live in an era where trying to monetize your website with sponsored ads can be very challenging unless you are a global brand already.
In other words, if you don’t have a large audience on Facebook to reach potential customers and clients, your ability to generate leads and convert them into customers online is going to become increasingly difficult over time, especially for relatively unknown brands or businesses.
- With roughly 2.96 billion monthly active users as of the fourth quarter of 2022, Facebook is the most used online social network worldwide.
- Facebook is the world’s third-most visited website with 2 billion total visits, after google and YouTube.
- About 3% of Facebook users access it on mobile.
- Video ads are seen to perform better than any other ad format on Facebook.
- Facebook Stories had 500 million viewers daily in 2022.
- About 81% of brands prefer video marketing on Facebook.
- India ranks top of the list of the most number of Facebook users country-wise with 320 million users in terms of Facebook audience size.
Of the people using Facebook:
- 2.9% are between the ages of 13-17
- 18.1% are between the ages of 18-24
- 25.7% are between the ages of 25-34
- 18.1% are between the ages of 35-44
- 13.6% are between the ages of 45-54
- 11% are between the ages of 55-64
- Only 10.6% are 65+ years old
- More than half of Facebook users are male (56.5%).
Twitter is one of the best social media platforms, alongside Facebook and Instagram. At present, Twitter is a platform where trends begin, and people freely carry out discussions and open their hearts out to each other. Let’s take a look at some of the most interesting Twitter stats.
This is a list of some of the most exciting Twitter stats I have found. As with all of our lists, we aim to deliver the most comprehensive, complete, and utterly interesting Twitter stats and facts list available on the Internet today.
- By the end of 2021, Twitter had 211 daily active users.
- 79% of marketers will continue to invest in Twitter spaces, According to HubSpot.
- 83% of world leaders are on Twitter.
- About 5% of people around the world use Twitter.
- Only 42% of registered Twitter users visit the platform daily.
- About 42% of Twitter users are college graduates.
- A little over 50% of Twitter users are aged between 18 and 34.
- 70% of Twitter users are male.
- The United States of America has the highest number of active Twitter users, about 78 million.
YouTube viewers watch more than 400 hours of video on the site per minute, visit the site from more than 151 countries, and are becoming increasingly engaged. In 2021, YouTube became an essential part of our daily life.
Here is some research and some interesting statistics about YouTube.
- YouTube is the biggest video-sharing website that has ever existed.
- The second-largest search engine after Google is YouTube.
- 44% of marketers plan to use YouTube marketing for the first time in 2022.
- 1billion hours of video content is watched every day.
- 70% of YouTube watch time is on mobile devices.
- 2% of the world’s YouTube audience is aged between 25 and 34.
Pinterest is a site where people are visually stimulated, but if you are not following these important stats, then there is no way of knowing if it’s right for your business.
Pinterest has some amazing statistics that will give you another look at this social media network and how it can benefit your brand to reach your target audience visually. You might not know this, but in the world of social media marketing and practise, Pinterest has huge potential. Now, what do I mean by that? Well, I am talking about the demographic of social media users, who is using it and why this network is really ideal for brands.
- More than 70% of Pinterest users are female.
- About 6 % of the world uses Pinterest.
- Close to 50% of Pinterest users are aged between 18 and 34.
- The US has more than 90 million active Pinterest users.
In recent years, TikTok has become one of the most popular and well-known social networking apps. It’s entertaining, creative, and trending content has continuously been drawing people to it.
Statistics, such as the TikTok statistics below, will help you get a better understanding of this app in 2022.
- TikTok Surpassed the 1billion monthly active users mark by end of 2021.
- 71% of TikTok users are female.
- TikTok has reached 3.3 billion app installations.
- 1 million TikTok videos are watched per minute.
In just five short years, TikTok has become one of the most popular social media apps out there. They’ve taken the world by storm while providing people with a creative and entertaining way to share their videos with the world.
I bet you never thought of LinkedIn as a social media platform like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. But when you actually look into it, it’s just as social as the rest. It’s a place to express your personality, chat with friends (well, sort of), and get influenced. Its only that the friends are business connections.
Needless to say, LinkedIn is one of the most popular social networking sites in the world today for fetching career opportunities and connecting with professionals around the globe
- 54% of users have recommended a product or service via LinkedIn and would use it more if they could.
- 40% of LinkedIn users change their job, company or industry ever 4years.
- About 3 people are hired through linked in every minute.
- There has been a 60% increase in content creation on linked in 2020.
- 57% of Linked In users access it on mobile.
- An Ad on linked In can reach 13% of the world’s population.
- Exposure to Linked in Ads increase purchase intent by 33%.